The science is clear: one of the best things we can do for animals, our planet, and each other is to eat more plants. As more consumers commit to incorporating plant-based options into their diets, businesses must expand their offerings to keep up with demand.
Around one-third of Americans are reducing meat and dairy consumption and food businesses are starting to catch on. Compassion in World Farming encourages advocates to use their voices for animals and politely request plant-based options. We also work with food businesses to help improve farmed animal welfare and prioritize higher welfare and climate-friendly offerings.
Plant-based food is good for animals, but it’s also good for business
The plant-based boom is outpacing the rest of the food industry. According to Good Food Institute, the retail market for plant-based foods is worth $7 billion, up from $5.5 billion in 2019. What’s more, plant-based food sales grew almost 2.5x faster than total food sales from 2018 to 2020.
By adding plant-based options, restaurants and retailers alike can expect to:
- Increase traffic to their business. Restaurants are reporting increased foot traffic to their businesses since adding plant-based offerings.
- Stay competitive. Plant-based offerings can add interest to your menu or store aisles.
- Appeal to all generations. According to the USDA, when compared to other generations, Millennials spend the least on white and red meat.
- Drive down costs. Plant-based foods can often cost less and last longer in your refrigerators than their animal-based counterparts.
Businesses often rely on consumer feedback to grow and improve. One of the most direct and effective ways to let businesses know what you want is to leave them a polite request! Keep these wallet-sized cards on hand to help you politely request plant-based options at restaurants and groceries that you frequent. When scanned, the QR code on these cards will direct people to this page, where businesses can learn about the many benefits of adding plant-based foods and other advocates can download and share cards of their own.
- Download the file
- Print on cardstock at home
- Place them in your wallet or car for the next time you’re dining out or grocery shopping
- Leave them at the table or pass them on to the cashier on your way out to send a friendly message to staff and management
- If you want to take it one step further, speak to someone directly during your visit!
Our mission is to end the number one cause of animal abuse: factory farming. We can’t do it without compassionate advocates like you.
Other ways to use your voice:
Compassion is evolving its work program with food companies to deliver a more resilient and sustainable food system that addresses the needs of people, planet, and animals.
Through close collaboration, we help businesses:
- Evaluate how they can shift towards more sustainable, plant-forward offerings
- Assess the multidimensional environmental impacts of food in their supply chains
- Identify business opportunities for growth and improvement
- Explore how to improve sustainability at the farm level through regenerative agricultural practices
- Measure and celebrate progress toward sustainability goals.
Over time, these strategies will reduce the production and consumption of farmed animals, rebalance the animal protein in your offerings and help to regenerate nature and restore biodiversity.
This is an exciting time for food businesses – for innovation, for investment and for being a part of a transformation towards a better food system.
Get started by contacting our food business team.